Posted on 11th Jan 2019
Eating for your health does not mean that you will never be able to eat your favorite foods again. You can still eat healthy and include some of your favorite foods. How? By portion control!
What is portion control? Portion control is being aware of the amount of foods that you eat compared to their serving size. A serving size is the amount of food recommended. A portion is how much you choose to consume of that serving size. For example, one serving of potato chips is typically 12-14 chips, but we can rarely just stop at 12-14. We might eat 20-30. That is not portion control. Portion control would be eating just the serving size of 12-14 chips. Practicing portion control can help with weight loss, weight management, and can help manage your chronic kidney disease.
Below are 5 tips for practicing better portion control.
1) Don’t eat from the bag or box.
2) Pre-portion your favorite snacks.
3) Use smaller dishes and silverware.
4) Use measuring cups.
5) Estimate serving sizes using common objects.
- 1 cup is the size of a tennis ball
- 1 oz of cheese is the size of a domino
- ¼ cups of nuts is the size of a golf ball
-1 tablespoon of ketchup or mustard is the size of your thumb
- 3 oz of meat is the size or your palm
- 3 oz of fish is the size of a checkbook
- a hamburger patty is the size of a hockey puck
- a serving of pasta is the size of your fist
P.O. Box 980 Vidalia, GA 30475
"The FOOD SPIRAL®" is a registered trademark of Food Fitness First, Inc.
All other trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners.